Friday, January 27, 2012

Fluffy rice - everytime

I had a terrible time making rice when I first started cooking.  It clumped, lumped, burnt or was crunchy, just overall not good at all.  Now I am not sure why I ever thought it was hard! 
Here is how I do it -
2 cups parboiled rice (any rice is fine but this is by far my favorite)
3 cups water
2 Tbsp oil or butter
1-2 tsp salt


Add water, oil and salt to a large pan with a lid
Add rice

Stir with a fork
Allow to come to a low boil - once you see some bubbling
Turn heat down to low, on my electric stove that is level 2.0
Put the lid on the pot and don't take it off for 20 minutes
After 20 minutes stir again with a fork and serve hot.
If you are not serving right away stir then put the lid back on but turn off the heat.  The rice will stay warm for about another 20 minutes depending on if you take the lid off again.

Note - If you are using brown rice you will need more water and more time cooking but the idea is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment