Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Baked potato soup





 So I found myself in a cooking funk lately.  You know what I mean, I have been cooking the same things over and over because I am uninspired and they are easy.  Starting 2 weeks ago I challenged myself to cook 4 new recipes a week to help me get back into a good routine of trying new things.  I am happy to say it is paying off!  I am happy to plan, shop and cook because I am looking forward to new yummy dished coming out of the kitchen.
I will post last weeks meal plan and recipes will be coming up shortly.  In the mean time cozy up with a bowl of this amazing soup.  It is thick and creamy and so filling you wont need anything with it.  It reheated perfectly also so make some extra for lunch.



Loaded Baked Potato Soup (Makes 4-6 servings)
2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes (I used half of a 5 pound bag of small russets)
12 ounces sliced bacon
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion - chopped fine
2 Tbsp flour (I used white whole wheat but AP is fine as well)
4 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
4-6 scallions - sliced
6 tsp sour cream

Heat oven to 400.  Pierce potatoes a few times with a knife and bake for 50-60 minutes until tender.
Allow to cool then scoop flesh into a bowl and mash.
(I baked the potatoes at lunch time when I was already using the oven then covered them with foil until I was ready to use them for dinner.  It worked out great and saved me from heating the oven twice in one day.  You could easily do them in the microwave as well to save time.)

In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp and remove onto paper towels to drain.  Reserve 2 Tbsp of the rendered fat.  Once cooled break into small pieces.

In a large pot or dutch oven add reserved fat and butter a heat over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes; sprinkle with flour and cook 1 minute.  Whisk in milk then add salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.  Add in mashed potatoes and bring up to a simmer.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in 2 cups of the cheese, half of the bacon and     half of the scallions.

To serve ladle hot soup into bowls and top each with cheese, bacon, scallions and a dollop of sour cream.

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment