Friday, February 3, 2012

Chicken nuggets

I will be the first one to admit that I have eaten and have fed my children store bought chicken nuggets.  However after a conversation with my brother I had to do some research.  All he said was "Mechanically separated chicken, uck".  I thought whats the big deal a machine cuts chicken off the bone right?  Wrong.  Uck is an understatement.  If you want to know how its done and what you and your kids are eating you can watch this great Jamie Oliver video here.  There are a ton of videos and articles on the subject, some are more disgusting than others.  This one is not bad.  I can't stomach it anymore but luckily homemade chicken nuggets are easy and always in my freezer.

Ingredients- Makes about 30 nuggets
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 cup flour - I use whole wheat but all  purpose is fine
2 eggs - beaten with 2 tbsp water
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup cooking oil


Cut each breast into like sized pieces.  I cut from side to side then in half when needed.  These 2 breasts made 15 pieces each.

Sprinkle cut chicken with salt and garlic then top with flour and toss to coat.

Set up an assembly line so you can dredge coated chicken in egg then drop into breadcrumbs.  I get a pile of about 10 coated in breadcrumbs then add them all to the oil at once.

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.  Fry for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.  I did 3 batches.



Drain on paper towels and let cool before serving.

To freeze -
You can freeze these 2 ways.   Raw or cooked. 
Raw freeze - After coating in breadcrumbs transfer to a sheet pan in a single layer and place in freezer for 5 hours until well set then they can be moved to a baggie.  When ready to cook fry from frozen and increase cooking time to 4-5 minutes per side.
Cooked freeze - After frying allow to cool completely - transfer to a storage bag and freeze.  When ready to cook they can be heated from frozen in the microwave or oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment