Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fried rice - Raid the pantry

Quick, easy and you probably have all the ingredients on hand already.  Fried rice is a go to meal here when I need to whip up something in a hurry.  I always have frozen stir fry mix in the freezer add rice and a few spices and your done.  Bonus is that my kids will try all kinds of new veggies when I mix it in the fried rice and I am not even hiding them!

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seed oil (I like the flavor this adds if you don't have any just use more olive oil)
2 cups cooked rice - leftover rice is great
1 bag frozen stir fry mix
2 eggs - beaten
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp butter - cut into 4 pieces

Heat oils in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat - add in frozen vegetables and cook 3-5 minutes until they start to soften.  Scoot the vegetables over to one side of the pan and add the eggs to the other side.  Allow to cook for 1 minute then mix with the vegetables.  Add garlic, ginger and rice.  Stir well to incorporate.  Drizzle soy sauce over the top and add butter.  Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stir to avoid sticking.


If you want to add meat cook it first then remove it from the pan and add back in when you add the rice.  I also tend to toss in any left over vegetables I have in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment